Hello everyone and here’s to another gorgeous week that’s just upon us! Mondays are one of my favourite days of the week because it means that I’m back on track, new goals and intentions are set and I have a whole week of opportunity to do amazing things! Some people wait until the weekends to celebrate, but I’m the kind of person who thinks we should celebrate every day! This recipe is one that is perfect for doing just that, and it’s filled with so many great ingredients that it can totally fit into your weekly nourishment routine! All of the ingredients are super healthy, but they come together in such a delicious way that you’d think this recipe would be anything but (totally a win in my books). The recipe sprung up when I was hit with a chocolate craving after dinner, had none in the pantry and wanted to try my hand at making my own. I knew that I didn’t have cocoa powder on hand, but what I did have was some Organic Carob Powder that I had previously picked up when it went on sale, and this little beauty of a recipe was born. I got a little bit creative with the sweetener here, and I used a Stevia sweetened protein powder which I think is an amazing substitute. I won’t continue on blabbing about the ingredients I chose because I’m sure all of you just want to get to the kitchen already and make this recipe! But before I do, I just want to note that this recipe has so many possibilities to be adapted to all lifestyles and diets, it can be Vegan (use a Vegan protein powder), Vegetarian, Gluten Free, and Paleo!
Carob Chocolate Bar
- 1/4 c. solid Organic Coconut Oil
- 1/4 c. Carob Powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons Vanilla Protein Powder (of your choice)
- Start by grabbing an ice-cube tray or mini-muffin pan, and set it aside for later.
- Measure out your coconut oil and placing it in either a microwave safe dish or a saucepan over the stove. Heat until liquid.
- Next, measure out your carob powder and place it into your dish containing the coconut oil. Whisk to combine smoothly.
- The next part is primarily up to you and how sweet you want the chocolate – I chose to add 1 Tablespoon of my Kaizen Naturals Protein Powder and whisk to combine, but you have free reign to customize it here to whatever you’d like!
- Now, using a spatula, start pouring the chocolate into your tray very slowly, until all of the mixture is used up. Pop the tray in the freezer for an hour to set, and then transfer it to the fridge for storage. Enjoy!
Why do I love these ingredients.. ?
- Coconut oil is full of lauric acid which is great at killing unfriendly bacteria. It is also an amazing source of energy for the ketones in your brain, and full of medium-chain triglycerides which allow for it to be metabolized better than long-chain fatty acids.
- Carob Powder contains Gallic acid that works as an analgesic, anti-allergic, antibacterial, antioxidant, antiviral and antiseptic. It is a rich source of calcium, selenium as well as antioxidants. Due to it’s polyphenols, it also helps to lower blood pressure.
- Protein is essential in aiding the processes that our cells carry out, they are the basis upon which our body operates. We need protein in order to build muscle (obviously), but it goes far beyond that! Protein holds together our muscles, bones, tissue, skin, hair, nails and organs!
Wishing you above all Health & Happiness
– Miranda xo