The one question that I find fitness/health enthusiasts get asked the most is how to find the motivation to transition into a healthier lifestyle – and it’s for a good reason! Taking the first step in something new is always very scary, especially when you’ve never done it before and are unsure of whether or not you will succeed. I want you to take this moment to know that every thought you have manifests itself in your life, so wit that being said – believe in yourself! I believe in you, I know that you can succeed so start telling yourself that you can too! Once you’ve taken that first step, regardless of how tiny, you’ve already overcome the biggest challenge. Now that you’re in motion, you’ve got momentum and it only get’s easier to continue moving from this point on, so stay strong and hold your own!
Now that I’ve gotten my little motivational speech out of the way (which totally came to me at like 10:30 last night, immediately giving me the inspiration to write this post) I want to share with you my top 5 tips that can help you achieve the healthy lifestyle that you have always dreamed of! These are straightforward, simple and easy enough that I know that you can start integrating them into your daily routine TODAY! Not tomorrow, not next week, next month or next year – today!
5 Tips to Finding your Fit (your way!)
Simple ways to transition towards living your own version of a healthy, happy life (Mindfully Miranda style).
- Drink a big glass of lemon water.. for real. It wouldn’t be fair to the health nut in me not to mention drinking lemon water here as it’s perhaps the easiest ways you can add a new healthy habit to your day. Grab a big ‘ole mason jar/glass/mug/etc. fill it up to the tip top with water, slice a lemon in half and squeeze the juice in & bam! You’re already on your way to feeling healthier; lemons are an amazing source of Vitamin C to help boost your immunity, and when added to water you’ve got one of the most solid ways to detoxify your body, kick start your metabolism, and improve your digestion. All of these things are the behind-the-scenes actions that aid in maintaining a healthy weight, or achieving weight loss, and they start with something as simple as lemon water! (Aim for 2-3 L per day depending on your activity level)
- Make yourself a good breakfast, yes you! Now as much as I absolutely love food (which is obvious due to this blog lol), what I mean by “breakfast” is not only a bowl of oatmeal or some eggs, but rather “breaking the fast” of having good intentions to begin your day. No longer will you roll out of bed reluctant and exhausted, rather you will embrace the energy of the Universe around you and start your day with a positive mindset! To get you started, try waking up, doing a sun salutation, then grab your lemon water and a notepad/journal/scrap paper and pen and write down one positive intention or mantra to carry you through your day. Say a gentle thank you (times three) to the Universe for the abundance it has blessed you with and now go rock your day my friend (and don’t forget to grab that oatmeal I mentioned earlier)!
- Get your sweat on! Exercising is one of my absolute favourite parts of my day because it makes me feel strong and beautiful – like I can accomplish anything (endorphins are seriously amazing). Since I am always real with you guys, I want to let you know that this was most definitely not always the case! It has taken me a year and a half to really come to a place where I love to sweat, and even sometimes I have my off days. The point of me telling you this is so that you don’t get discouraged, so that you know that we all struggle, but the most important thing is that you keep on trying and keep challenging yourself and your body each day. Exercise because you love your body and you value your health – the rest will fall into place. Just remember to take things slow and don’t be too hard on yourself right away, you’re only human and we all have to start somewhere! Try as many forms as exercise as you can until you find one that you love and want to stick with.. such as POP Pilates Yoga or Circuit Training (BBG Style, Like I do!) Now remember..
- Now get your stretch on (do some LISS)! Now that you’ve gotten some good sweating done, your body deserves a good rest! Too much high-intensity activity too soon can really be detrimental to your body, so I recommend doing some Low Intensity Steady State exercise such as walking, along with stretching on a daily basis to improve flexibility and decrease your risk of injury. Believe me – your muscles will thank you, I was once someone who never stretched after a workout and because of that I’ve done damage to my hips which I have to accommodate while exercising now!
- Eat ‘yo veggies! (Nourish yourself) Every single time that you eat you are given the amazing blessing and opportunity to nourish your body with the fuel that it needs to succeed. Eating “clean” isn’t about losing weight or looking a certain way, it’s about taking care of your body from the inside out because it is the only home that you have to live in for the rest of your life! Nutrition can be daunting for many (including me) because there is so much information out there about what you should and shouldn’t eat, and whether it’s the healthiest to be Paleo, Vegan, etc. I am here to tell you to try and tune out all of that outside buzz of information and opinions. Take a moment to step back, reflect upon your own body and your own life, and make the decision for yourself. Do you want a slice of cheesecake? – If so, go for it! Eat it, enjoy it, and move on. Allow yourself to indulge and enjoy – you only have this moment! The next meal or the next day, try adding a cup of spinach to your smoothie, scrambled with your eggs or sauteed with your tofu/turkey, or layered on your sandwich. Your body will already be thanking you! Start making small swaps, like carbonated water instead of soda, fruit to replace candy, whole grains where there was once no grains (or naked grains, like white bread), etc. Eat when you’re hungry (try choosing healthy things whenever possible) and stop when you’re full! Take it slow and take it day by day! Your body will begin to adapt to your new way of eating and you can grow from there! Remember, it’s a journey and it’s a process. 🙂 (Don’t be too serious about it, trust me, I’ve been there and it’s no fun for anyone). Take a peek at my blog and my recipes, but don’t stop there – research different styles of eating and watch cooking videos on YouTube, or read even more blogs! Find what sounds doable and enjoyable for you and go from there!
Good luck my friends, I know you can do it!
Wishing you above all Health & Happiness
– Miranda xo