- Start Your Day with Lemon and ACV Water: Acidic liquids, contain acetic acid which has been shown to boost your metabolism, lower cholesterol, lower your blood pressure, and have an alkaline effect on your body. Hydration is essential for mental clarity and pretty much everything your body does, it’s kinda of a big deal. 😉 Each morning I make sure to have close to 500 mL of water, and if you want a boost in benefits, add the juice of 1/2 a lemon, 1 teaspoon of ACV, and an optional 1/2 a teaspoon of honey.
- Fill Up on Healthy Foods: Not only do healthy extras like ACV and lemon boost your metabolism – but healthy foods do too! Think about eating *more* healthy foods, not less in general. Focus on a bright variety of colours, not calories! Listen to your body when it’s hungry, full, etc. and if you want a piece of chocolate – go for it! If you fill up the majority of your day with vegetables, whole grains and legumes, healthy fats and lean proteins, you’ll be feeling amazing from all of the fiber, vitamins and essential nutrients! It’s about progress, not perfection. (I know I sound cliche, but it’s true!) See this and this for inspiration.
- Set a Goal: Sometimes goals can really help us to set our sights, motivate ourselves, and encourage positive growth and change. Let’s say you’ve always wanted to get into running – make it your goal to sign up for a fun 5K over the summer! Maybe make it your goal to start working out three times a week, or to get a gym membership. I like to surround myself with little quotes, pictures, and places where I want my life to be, and I love the constant reminder of my goals.
- Start Strength Training: Building muscle is a great way to boost your metabolism, as it helps to drive your heart rate (which essentially means your body will burn more calories when you exercise). I love strength training because I love seeing what my body is capable of achieving. You can strength train with as much as barbells at the gym, some 5 lb dumbbells at home, or even your own body weight! If you don’t know where to start, try following some YouTubers such as FitWithBrit, Brittany Dawn, Nikki Blackketter, Chelsea Lifts, or Brianna Sky – who are among some of my favorites for daily inspiration, workout routines and fun, creative moves. You can also check out my YouTube Channel for inspiration, motivation and workouts!
- Get Your Heart Rate Up!: You cardiovascular health (aka your heart health) is so incredibly important! When your heart rate goes up, you sweat, which helps to detox and drain your lymphatic system which is crucial in preventing sickness and maintaining your overall well-being. Now don’t think this means you need to start running on the treadmill for the rest of your days, because there are SO many other ways to get you sweating! You can try a quick 20-30 min HIIT (high intensity interval training) which burns fat and builds muscle, or a LISS session (low intensity steady state exercise) such as walking on a trail or on a treadmill for 45 mins (speed 3.5, elevation 3/3.5). There is also the stairmaster, or for you runners out there – a good old run. Find your fit and go from there!
Wishing you above all Health & Happiness