How to Stay Active Without The Gym!
As much as I advocate a healthy lifestyle that includes some resistance training (meaning weights, etc.), going to the gym isn’t the only route you can take to improve your health! Whether it’s weight loss that you are looking for, or simply increasing your longevity and overall wellbeing, there are plenty of other ways to achieve this! In today’s blog post, I want to share with you some simple tips to stay active throughout the day without going to the gym. There are some helpful hints for swaps you can make, that make all the difference when it comes to increasing your health and wellness. Read on for more!
- Take the Stairs: Next time you’re met with the option to take the escalator or the stairs – get climbing! Make a simple swap to take the stairs, and you will get your blood flowing, your legs moving, and stay healthy.
- Park further away from shopping malls, grocery stores, etc.: Ever since I got my Fitbit, I’ve been obsessed with getting in my 10,000 steps. So, I started parking further away from my destinations, forcing me to walk a little bit further and make those steps count. Try it for yourself!
- Walk around your house: Does your grandma call and talk to you for hours? (Mine does, and I absolutely love our chats, I’m so grateful to have her in my life) How about the next time she calls, you walk around your house while she talks. Or, if you’re watching TV, take a break to walk to the kitchen to grab some water, and stretch during commercial breaks. I doubt you will even notice, but your body sure will!
- Take stretch / standing breaks: Have a desk job, or are you living the student life? Taking periodical brakes between sitting to simply get up and grab a drink of water helps you to stretch your limbs and decreases your risk for developing serious health conditions. So get up and get that blood flowing!
- Opt for activities that involve light movement: Thinking of getting together with your girlfriends? When it’s time to dish on the latest happenings, how about take a walk around your block! You’ll get fresh air, and stay active while still engaging in great company and conversation. Or, if you’re planning a date night, how about try rock climbing, a hike, or a nature trail walk (with a picnic at the end).
- Use your own backyard: Nature is your greatest gift when it comes to health and wellness, it’s open, it’s spacious and it’s free! I personally love walking my dogs and going for 5K runs in my neighborhood, and using playground equipment and benches for strength and resistance workouts. I also find grassy fields the perfect place to stretch and do yoga/meditation. The idea is to be creative with your activities – the world is your oyster.
I hope that these tips are something that you can begin to integrate into your daily round to improve your overall wellbeing. Let me know if they worked for you, and what you would like to see next on my blog.
Wishing you above all Health & Happiness