You know around 2-3pm.. That weird little stretch of the day when lunch is behind you and you’re almost at dinner time, but you get that crash of energy where you feel like you need five cups of coffee/tea just to make it to the end of the day? This recipe is basically the product of that unique little time, and it’s purpose is to remedy 3pm-itis with a tasty little treat that contains all of the goodness you need to get back on the metaphorical horse. With healthy fats, protein and complex carbs, these little bits of bliss will keep you satiated until dinner, and they taste amazing. They literally only contain 4 (or 5) ingredients, require no baking, can be vegan and gluten-free, nut-free and take 5 minutes to throw together – talk about awesome! They fit almost everyone’s dietary needs/restrictions making them a great choice for lunch bag snacks! With all of this gab about them, I might as well get into the recipe so you can try them for yourself!
- 3 heaped Tablespoons of nut/seed butter or your choice (can be sunflower, almond, peanut, cashew, etc.)
- 1/3 c. Gluten-Free Rolled Oats (As always, I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (Chia seeds would work well here too)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons liquid sweetener of choice (I used unpasteurized honey, but pure maple or rice syrup would work well)
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional, I didn’t include this because we are all out)
- Throw all of your ingredients together in a bowl and combine well with a spatula, wooden spoon (or your hands!).
- Roll into tablespoon-sized balls and refrigerate to harden before serving.